It’s easy to cash checks with an iPhone, iPad, Android smartphone or other mobile device. We’ve listed 37 banks below that let consumers cash checks without going into a bank.
To cash paper checks, customers used to have to physically walk into a bank branch. Now consumers can cash checks and deposit funds to their accounts from wherever they happen to be with mobile banking apps for the iPhone and other devices.
According to the Federal Reserve, most remotely deposited checks are cashed on a mobile device. Mobile deposits from iPhones and other smartphones and tablets became legal in the U.S. after the passage of the Check 21 Act. The act was intended to keep the country’s finances operating after a catastrophe like the terrorist attacks on September 11 of 2001.
In 2009, USAA Federal Savings Bank became the first bank to allow customers to cash checks with smartphones. By 2013, only 10% of credit unions and banks allowed iPhone, iPad and Android check cashing. Just two years later, mobile check cashing is widespread in big banks like Wells Fargo, Chase Bank, Citibank and Bank of America. Even many small banks and credit unions now have apps to let customers cash checks remotely.
How to Cash a Check With an iPhone
Cashing checks with an iPhone, iPad or Android device is simple. Anyone who can take a picture with an iPhone can cash and deposit a check with a remote deposit app. Customers just download their bank’s mobile banking app, sign the check, take a picture of both sides of the check with the app, and the app does the rest. Pictures of the checks aren’t stored in the iPhone. It’s a good idea to save the check until the deposit clears the bank account, but mark it “cashed with iPhone.”
Scroll down for a video example that demonstrates cashing a check with an iPhone. Also below are 37 banks doing business in the U.S. that allow customers to cash checks and deposit them from iPhone, Android or other mobile devices.
Banks With iPhone Check Cashing Apps
1. Capital One Bank – The Capital One Mobile app lets consumers cash checks remotely and deposit the funds, as well as pay bills, make transfers and more.
2. Bank of America – Bank of America’s Mobile App allows check cashing on iPhone and iPad. The app also lets customers check balances and order copies of checks.
3. Chase Bank – Chase Bank has a mobile banking app called Chase Mobile that customers can use to cash checks from iPhones and other smartphones. The tool also lets users manage their accounts, find ATMs, pay bills and make transfers.
4. US Bank – US Bank’s iPhone app from U.S. Bancorp lets users send money to friends and family easily with their Pay a Person feature. The app also allows remote check cashing, checking balances and mobile bill payment.
5. Citibank – Citibank customers who want to cash checks with their iPhone or other smartphone or tablet can use the Citi Mobile app. Aside from iPhone check cashing, the app also provides account alerts. Users can also send money to anyone’s bank account they like using the app’s Popmoney feature. The iPhone app is protected by 128 bit encryption. That’s the same encryption level as online banking.
6. PNC Bank – The PNC Mobile Banking app enables iPhone users to use their cameras to cash checks from any remote location. Other features of the app include paying bills, checking balances, viewing transaction histories and locating the nearest PNC branch or ATM.
7. Huntington Bank – Customers of Huntington Bank can cash checks with an iPhone or other wireless enabled device with the Huntington Mobile app. Users can also search for Huntington Bank locations, pay bills and even quick dial the bank from the iPhone app.
8. Wells Fargo – Wells Fargo is one of the biggest banks in the United States. The Wells Fargo Mobile app lets customers cash checks with an iPhone and deposit the money straight into their checking or savings accounts. Real time investment tracking is another handy feature of the app. There’s also an ATM locator and a Sure Pay feature for sending money directly to friends and family.
9. USAA Bank – The first bank to let users cash checks with iPhones and other mobile devices, USAA Bank services members of the military and their family members. Beyond the ability to cash checks with iPhone, the USAA Mobile app also lets users place trades, get quotes, report insurance claims and submit claim photos.
10. State Farm Bank – State Farm isn’t just an insurance company, and the State Farm Pocket Agent app handles more than just insurance claims. While users of the app can use it to view insurance cards and policies, talk to a live agent, submit claims and pay insurance premium bills, the app can also be used to cash checks with an iPhone. Funds from checks cashed with the iPhone app are deposited into the customer’s State Farm bank account with the My Time Deposit feature.
12. BB&T Bank – The BB&T Mobile Banking app lets users cash checks with an iPhone and deposit the funds, plus manage checking, savings and credit card accounts. The app comes with mobile bill pay and easy funds transfer. There’s also a version for the iPad. Another iPhone app called the BB&T Cash Manager enables wire transfers.
13. Bank of the West – The Bank of the West has over 600 locations in the Western and Midwestern United States. Users of their mobile banking app can deposit checks from and iPhone by taking a picture of both sides. The app lets customers use iPhones to pay bills and check balances. A quick login feature makes using the app as easy as remembering a PIN number.
14. Zions Bank – Cashing a check with an iPhone is easy with the Zions Bank Mobile Banking app. The app also allows money transfers, mobile bill payments and viewing transaction histories.
15. First Community Bank – First Community’s Mobile 1st app lets any iPhone user cash a check and deposit the funds to their account. The 51-branch bank’s iPhone check cashing app is evidence that even small community banks have the capability to offer mobile banking to their customers.
16. HSBC Bank – The HSBC Mobile Banking app allows HSBC customers to cash checks and manage accounts from anywhere around the world from an iPhone or other mobile device.
17. Suntrust Bank – With the Suntrust Mobile app by Suntrust Banks, Inc., consumers can make payments, transfers, and, of course, cash checks with an iPhone. The app also makes it easy to pay bills and make loan payments. Users can also use the app to initiate cash advances from their Suntrust Bank credit card accounts.
18. State Bank & Trust – The mobile banking app from State Bank & Trust lets iPhone users cash checks and deposit the funds right from their phones. The app also features mobile bill payment and funds transfer, as well as special rewards offers.
19. The Newburyport Five Cents Savings Bank – This iPhone app enables check cashing, transfers, bill payment and branch and ATM location search.
20. TD Bank – In addition to being able to cash checks and deposit the funds with an iPhone, this app give users 24/7 access to TD Bank customer service. Bill payment, transaction history and funds transfer are standard features with this iPhone app. There’s also a business version of the app.
21. The Royal Bank of Scotland – The Royal Bank of Scotland may be a Scottish Bank, but it manages $98.4 billion in deposits in America. The bank’s iPhone app allows check cashing, fast cash at select ATMs without the use of a debit card and refilling certain prepaid phone plans. Some of the app’s features work only in the U.K.
22. Regions Financial Bank – The Regions Mobile app from Regions financial bank is available in the app store and lets customers cash checks and deposit the money from them. The money can be deposited via iPhone into checking accounts, savings accounts, money market accounts and the bank’s Now Cards. Customers can also use the app to pay bills, transfer funds, and view and edit cashback rewards.
23. Fifth Third Bancorp Bank – Customers with the Fifth Third Mobile Banking app can cash checks with an iPhone through remote deposit, transfer money, pay bills and find ATMs and branches. There’s also a business version and an iPad version of the app.
24. Bank of Internet USA – Customers of this bank can deposit checks with their mobile iphone banking app. The app works for iPhone and iPad and also allows online bill payments, funds transfers and management of cash back offers.
25. Key Bank – The Key Bank Mobile app enables checks to be cashed and deposited remotely via iPhone. Apart from letting users cash checks, the app also handles the opening of new accounts, paying bills and transferring funds.
26. Northern Trust – Customers of Northern Trust Bank who want to cash checks with an iPhone can use the Private Passport Mobile app. The app also gives access to 60 days of transaction history, lets users view images of checks drawn on their accounts and grants access to investment portfolios.
27. Bank of Montreal Harris – While the larger Bank of Montreal doesn’t yet let customers cash checks with their iPhones, Chicago based BMO Harris does. Their iPhone mobile banking app also lets users track all their accounts, even if they’re with other banks.
28. Union Bank – Union bank’s mobile iPhone app lets customers cash checks, pay bills, transfer funds and pay friends and family by using only an email address or a mobile phone number. Users can also use the app to report a lost or stolen debit card and schedule callbacks from customer service agents.
29. Comerica Bank – The iPhone mobile app from Comerica Bank lets users cash checks, pay bills, send money to friends and family and check account balances and activity.
30. Ally Bank – Ally Bank customers with an iPhone can cash checks with the Ally Mobile Banking app. Customers can use Popmoney to make payments to friends and family. They can also view balances, search transaction histories, transfer money and pay bills. All account information is encrypted and is never stored on the user’s iPhone. The bank’s Mobile Security Guarantee covers fraudulent mobile transactions.
31. E*Trade Bank – To cash checks with an iPhone and an E*Trade Bank account, just use the E*Trade Mobile app. The app also has an Apple Watch version and enables mobile stock and option trading. Users can also pay bills and set up stock alerts. There’s also a full range of on the go research options like news, educational videos and live streaming of CNBC.
32. Capstone Bank – Capstone bank’s mobile banking app allows online customers to cash checks with their iPhones. Along with GPS assistance to find branches and ATMs, the app also provides mobile bill pay and mobile transfers, plus real time account balances. The app is fast, secure and free.
33. Synovus Financial Corp. – The Synovus mobile banking app for iPhone enables check cashing and viewing balances without signing in. Users can send and receive payments from friends and family, pay bills and transfer money. There’s also an iPad version, and a recent update lets the app fit to newer phone sizes like the iPhone 6 Plus.
34. Charles Schwab – Schwab Mobile lets customers with iPhones cash checks remotely, but it does a whole lot more. Users can keep track of stocks and markets, make trades, place stock and ETF orders, get real time trade notifications and receive auto-updating quotes. With this app, a Charles Schwab customer could deposit a paycheck and buy stock with it, all from their iPhone.
35. Randolph Brooks Federal Credit Union – The RBFCU iPhone app lets users cash checks, check balances and make fast transfers on the go. It also allows mobile loan payments, checking current loan rates and opening money market accounts. Shaking the iPhone from the login page displays the “What’s Shakin’ at RBFCU” info page.
36. United FCU – Customers of United FCU can cash checks with their iPhones with the credit union’s mobile banking app. Standard features include bill pay, transfer funds, mobile deposit, view account details and view transaction history. Users can also create and read secure messages with the iPhone app. Reviewers call the app “smooth, fast and easy to use.”
37. Navy Federal Credit Union – Cash checks with an iPhone with the Navy Federal Credit Union’s mobile app. Protected with a four digit passcode, the app lets users send money to friends and family from their iPhones. Users can also apply for credit card with the app, plus order replacement debit cards, pay bills, make transfers and redeem cashRewards. The app also lets customers set travel notifications.
How Much Does it Cost to Cash a Check With an iPhone?
As most of the banks on our list state in the documentation for their iPhone check cashing and mobile banking apps, the service is generally free. However, though the apps themselves are largely free to download, there may be SMS or other data charges depending on each customer’s usage of the app.
13 Banks With iPhone Remote Check Deposit Apps – GottaBeMobile.com
Remote Deposit – Wikipedia.org
Image Credits: Bank of the Internet, Citibank